Day Skipper Shorebased Course
Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience in basic navigation and sailing skills, that have more than 16 years old, who wants to be a safely skipper during the day in familiar waters.
The course offers a comprehensive introduction to navigation, chart work and the basics of seamanship. It can also help you get the best from your electronic equipment. It is a great way to progress your yachting career.
The course itself consists of 5 consecutive days of navigation without returning home, speaking English and learning and demonstrating knowledge of navigation during a continuous evaluation with a RYA instructor, which will decide at the end of the course whether you are able to obtain the certificate or not.
It is helpful to take our Day Skipper shorebased course to be ready for the navigation.
To do the shorebased course it is not required previous experience.
Course topics include:
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Potting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares
- Safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
– On register you receive a theoretical book with all course content.
– The course is taught in a flexible format with two exam papers.
– The duration of the course is 5 days.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day.
A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
The course is taught in a flexible format with two exam papers.