Ocean Yachtmaster Training Course
Unravel the mysteries of astronavigation, using a sextant, ocean passage making, worldwide meteorology and electronic navigation aids.
This course is for those aspiring to blue water cruising and is ideal for holders of the Yachtmaster Offshore certificate who are preparing for their first ocean passage.
Topics covered include:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- Practical guide to the use and care of sextant at sea
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Ocean passage planning
- Prior to the course your navigation skills should be at the standard of the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased course.
If you are working towards your Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence, completion of this shorebased course exempts you from the written exam.
The course is taught over 40 hours with one exam paper. We can offer this course as an intensive week-long course.
NOTE: The practical element of this Certificate of Competence is a 600 mile offshore passage can be complete done of our mileage building and experience cruises.
Yachtmaster Ocean exam pre-requisites
- Minimum seatime: Ocean passage as skipper or mate of watch. The candidate was fully involved in the planning of the passage, including selection of the route, the navigational plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and her equipment, storing spare gear, water and victuals and organising the watch-keeping routine; During the passage a minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles must have been run by the log, the yacht must have been at sea continuously for at least 96 hours and the yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land or charted objects while sailing a distance of at least 200 miles. Please see the ‘definition of passage’. All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- Form of exam: Oral and written assessment of sights take at sea. If you hold the Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased certificate you are exempt from the written assessment.
- Certification required: RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence. An RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper Certificate does not qualify.
- Minimum exam duration: Approximately 1.5 hours.
A commercially endorsed Yachtmaster™ Ocean Certificate of Competence will enable you to work worldwide as a Master of commercial vessels of up to 200gt.
This Certificate of Competence can be used commercially in its own right. It is also a pre-requisite for the MCA’s Chief Mate, Master 500 and Master 3000 qualifications.