Day Skipper Shorebased Course
Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience in basic navigation and sailing skills.
The course offers a comprehensive introduction to navigation, chart work and the basics of seamanship. It can also help you get the best from your electronic equipment. It is a great way to progress your yachting career.
- Day Skipper Theory
- Speak English
- 5 days sailing and 4 night hours
- You do not required previous experience sailing
- Be 16 years old or older
The course itself consists of 5 consecutive days of navigation, speaking English and learning and demonstrating knowledge of navigation during a continuous evaluation with an RYA instructor, which will assess at the end of the course whether you are able to obtain the certificate or not.
It is helpful to take our Day Skipper Shorebased course to be ready for the navigation.
Course topics include:
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Potting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares
- Safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
– On register you receive a theory book with all the course content.
– The course is taught in a flexible format with two exam papers.
– The duration of the course is 5 days.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day.
A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
The Day Skipper Shorebased course is taught in a flexible format with two exam papers.