Marine Radio SRC VHF Online Course
MARINE RADIO SRC VHF COURSE
Marine Radio SRC VHF Online Course is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
This course is also needed to get you Yachtmaster Certificate.
Course topics include:
- The basics of radio operation
- The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
Duration: Approximately 10 hours of online study are required for the practical exam and a brief written part.
- RYA online assessment and certificate.
- A test at the end to judge whether you are ready to then take the practical and written exam.
- Radio simulators online.
- All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels.
- Feedback and help from our fulltime instructors for 18 hours a day seven days a week.
For this course you will need:
- Internet connection (broadband or 3G). Charges may apply for 3G
- Microphone and speakers/headphones
- Pop-ups enabled
Compatible devices and operating systems:
- PC running Windows 10 minimum with the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox
- Mac running 10.13 minimum with the latest version of Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox
- iPad running iOS11 minimum using Safari
- Android tablet running 4.1 minimum using Google Chrome.
RYA fees not included
To pay the fee click here
** Renovations Marine Radio SRC VHF Online Course: If you hold the ‘old’ VHF license (pre-1999) you need to upgrade your qualification if you purchase new equipment. To upgrade a Restricted VHF license to a GMDSS Short Range Certificate you should contact us to discuss the update training required and to organize a SRC examination.**