In this article we want to outline the necessary steps to process the Commercial Endorsement of a RYA degree what would be to move from a recreational title to a professional.
What the RYA says:
What is a commercial endorsement?
A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.
A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement.
Which certificates can be commercially endorsed?
The following certificates may request a commercial endorsement:
Course completion certificates:
- RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling Certificate
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate (only if issued before 1 January 2005)
- RYA Day Skipper practical course completion certificate supported by a Day Skipper shorebased course completion certificate.
Certificates of competence:
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement.
Which certificate do I need?
The MCA codes of practice classify British-flagged commercial yachts according to the type of yacht and the waters in which they operate. You can consult the MCA staff requirements table.
Professional Practices and Responsibilities course (PPR)
The PPR is an online course that is done from home through a recognized RYA center and since April 2012 it has been a requirement to complete the course.
All new applicants for approval must take the course before submitting their application.
Holders of existing commercial endorsements who obtained their endorsement before April 2012 should take the course before their next revalidation.
How do I apply for a commercial endorsement?
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your original certificate
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate PPR Course
- A commercial endorsement application form
- Original ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate
- A copy of your STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- Copy of your RYA Marine Radio SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate.
- Passport sized photowith your name on the back
- The application fee
The Medical Certificate must be recognized by the RYA/ MCA. There is one in English, ENG1.
For Spaniards it is best , once the Basic Traning is completed and the Maritime Booklet is processed, to do the Medical checkup of the ISM (Social Marine Institute), which is recognized by all countries that signed the Agreement STCW95.
The PPR is an online course that is done from home through a recognized RYA center.
Once you have all the necessary certificates, you must complete the “Appliction for Commercial Endorsement”, and send it to RYA. As you will see, by not working in the UK territorial waters, we have to present the 4 STCW modules.
If you already have all the certificates before processing the Yachtmaster Title, you can send everything together (usually done by the examiner once passed the exam), and in this way the RYA sends the certificate with the Commercial Endorsement.
But usually, what to do, is first to process the title of Yachtmaster, and once all necessary certificates have been obtained, the Application Form is filled and the Commercial Endorsement is processed.
Re-validating your commercial endorsement
All commercial endorsements must be revalidated every five years by testing at least 150 days of actual maritime service on appropriate vessels during the previous five years, and be in possession of a valid medical fitness certificate.
Yacht Point is the only school in Barcelona approved by the RYA and the Generalitat de Catalunya.